James house was established in 1986 with the aim of proving basic needs for children in need in the Hout Bay community. James house started as a soup kitchen and means of proving shelter and protection for children in the community. James house is named after the first boy that received service from the James house. Since then James house has grown from strength to strength able to service more people and more communities.
Hout Bay Connect interviewed the managing director of James House, Fabio Charles, to tell us more about the James House.
1. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN OPERATING IN HOUT BAY?
James house has been operating for the last 35 years.
2. WHAT WAS THE REASON YOU DECIDE TO START YOUR ORGANIZATION IN HOUT BAY?
There was a boy called James he was wondering the streets and there was community member’s couple of women who care for James and took him in and later discover there was more children wondering the streets so eventually James house started becoming in existence.
3. WHAT IS YOUR MAIN FOCUS AREA IN TERMS OF BENEFICIARIES AND MAKUNG AN IMPACT?
Our main focus is children and the beneficiaries will be the parents and teachers.
4. WHAT IS THE MOST REWARDING EXPIRIENCE SO FAR?
Just to see children becoming responsible, successful adults and one example I could think of is one of the children that was taking one of our programs is now being employed by James house.
5. WHAT HAVE YOUR BIGGEST CHALLENGE AS AN ORGANIZATION BEEN?
it’s the trauma cases that we’ve been working with and couple of families will need professionals to provide the necessary skilled interventions.
6. WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS TO YOUR CHALLENGES?
More funding you can give the organization the more professionals we can employ the better the intervention and eventually your community became the healthy community.
7. WHAT INSPIRES YOU MOST ABOUT THE COMMUNITY OF HOUT BAY?
Is definitely the development of children, when you see a child develop from a child that was shy and was introved and did really want to connect with his pears and people and you see that child become outspoken and a leader in the community and become a responsible adult.
8. IF PEOPLE WANT TO HELP YOUR ORGANIZATION WHAT WOULD YOU SAY THEY COULD DO OR CONTRIBUTE AND HOW?
By donating whether is in-kind donation, whether is in services and also very important is money trade donation.
9. WHAT IMPACT HAS YOUR ORGANIZATION MADE ON THE COMMUNITY OF HOUT BAY ( HANGBERG/ IMIZAMO YETHU)?
The one is we brought them together as a colored community hangberg and African community Imizamo Yethu we brought them together as one and the platform we used was our programs.
10. WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON NGO’S USING ONLINE PLATFORMS?
It has been definitely brilliant intervention using online platforms to reach out to millions of people, our service providers, our beneficiaries and also forming a way on how to meet with people especially during this time of corona virus.
11. WHAT ARE YOUR HOPES FOR YOUR BENEFICIARIES AND IS THERE ANY A SUPPORT SYSTEM FOR THEM?
Some of those platforms we create is providing counseling, or we will refer if we can’t help them.
12. WHAT ARE YOUR HOPES FOR YOUR ORGANIZATION IN THE FUTURE?
To develop into a sustainable, well organized organisition that can offer unique solution to our communities, and to create a safer place for the children of our community.